Latest posts by Chris "Zabant" Heeley (see all)
- IS Defense Review - April 13, 2016
- Jonathan Blow Is Upset with Piracy of The Witness, Considering Denuvo. - January 29, 2016
- Square Enix: “FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series” - December 7, 2015
Last night at the San Francisco International Film Festival, acclaimed director/writer/producer Guillermo del Toro , was asked about the status of Silent Hills, the upcoming title in the long running Silent Hill series from Konami. His answer to the question was, “It’s not gonna happen and that breaks my greasy heart.”
Del Toro’s personal assistant, Ian Gibson seemingly confirmed the news with a retweet of the quote.
— TV’s Matt Hackney (@tvsmatthackney) April 26, 2015
As sad as it is to say, the news is not that shocking after confirmation that the teaser demo P.T would be taken down from PSN in 3 days.
While nothing at the time had been confirmed; earlier this month many gamers had already been pointing to the renaming of KojiPro studios and Hideo Kojima’s imminent departure from Konami as a sign that Silent Hills is cancelled, Kojima of course being the driving force behind the game getting into production.
Del Toro is no stranger to this said state of affairs as his first survival horror gaming project Insane was also cancelled. Formerly in development by Volition, Inc. and to be published by THQ, the game was first announced at the 2010 Spike Video Game Awards before being canned in 2012.
Personally i’m a little gutted, the prospect of a new Silent Hill game developed by Kojima and starring The Walking Dead‘s Norman Reedus had my heart all a flutter at the previous year’s E3, especially considering the lack of announced next-gen titles within the genre. However it seems it was not to be. It seems that Silent Hills is another hype train that was sadly derailed long before it could reach the station.